Sunday, February 22, 2009

The New Running

Update on the Spanish Lavender:

Good news is that there are a number of new blooms.

Bad news is that the branches are exposed. I suppose I could hide them with some tall ground cover or smaller bushes. I'll see how it does during the season. The plants seem to have grown unchecked for a while and the bushes are all wooded-out in the center and sides. I pruned out the old flowers and got rid of a lot of dry branches.

I apparently really enjoyed pruning. The bushes are in a side garden section that is separated from the lawn. This area, too, badly needs to be renovated. Even with garden fabric and mulch, the area has a good amount of weeds. [Aside: Yesterday was the only rain-free day the last two weeks; possibly going on three weeks looking at the extended forecast. Maybe that's why I was smiling so big.]

A new Azalea (Alaska) for the shady front yard. Didn't realize these need acidic soil. This will live in a pot for the time being.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Paging Dr. Greenthumb

The Bacopa plant prefers partial sun but can live in shade. It's currently hanging from our front porch. The front of the house faces northeast and I'm not sure whether it'll get enough sunlight.

The front yard needs some work. It's been several months since the last time anyone's lived here. The lawn near the driveway and through the center of the yard appears to have seen too much traffic and has some bare patches.

The sellers tried to do the spray-on hair trick and paint the lawn green. They got sloppy at the base of the tree.

The first week we moved in, we hired a grounds crew to clean up the leaves and random trash that collected on the property. We asked them to trim the tree back to avoid the power lines. This is what it looked like afterward. Total hack job. I'm afraid they dead-headed it.

We have a few Spanish Lavender bushes separating the neighbor's yard. These, too, may not get enough sun. It's tough to gauge how these will do. They bloomed at one point, but are in bad need of pruning.

The backyard will be the true challenge. Judging by the looseness of the soil and big lump of dirt, I'm guessing a previous resident tried to make a berm garden. There's random newspaper pages and box panels spread out, which may've been used to smother grass.

There's a slight zig-zag in the center of the hill that may lend itself to a natural terrace. I don't even want to think about trying to keep the hill green all year long. It gets a lot of sun, though, and has a ton of potential.

Oh, I finally got a proper stand for the 3/4 acoustic. The finish goes well with the new floors: