To Tread This Fantasy, Openly ...

... what have I done?

I have a fitting for a 2007 Lemond Sarthe tomorrow evening:
The seat-to-bar drop in this stock pic is more aggressive than the size available. It's a size larger than I'm used to, a 55 for my 5'8", 31" inseam self. Lately, however, I've been wanting to go up a size for the comfort. And, yes, this is a steel frame. The ride on the stock Bontrager Race wheels is plush.

I also tried a Calfee Luna Pro, one of the finest carbon frames made. It was great. Lite. Zippy. With Kysrium wheels. ... But something happened while riding the Sarthe. It was just plain more fun. Lively. I was 10 years old again riding home from a long afternoon exploring the neighborhood. This is a bike I could ride for as long as my body holds up.

(It's worth noting that even without bikeshorts and gloves, both the Calfee and the Lemond are more comfy than my old carbon'd out aluminum CAAD4 could possibly ever get.)

I also discovered that Cannondale has a trade-in program for older frames. The discount is insane. I recently lost an eBay auction on a used, two-year-old Six13 that ultimately sold for only $200 less than a brand new one with a trade-in. This is my back-up if the Lemond doesn't work out:

Comments