See It Jiggle: Intensity Matters


These fat-loss posts are being published retroactively. I originally wrote the following in mid-July. 


date gut"    lbs gut loss" total gut losswt losstotal wt loss 
14-Jul  39.63  178.6      0.63        0.63    4.8          4.8
21-Jul  39.5  177.2      0.13        0.75    1.4          6.2
  
Some thoughts about fat: What comprises a fat gut is a combination of visceral and subcutaneous fat. Visceral fat, which sits behind the abdominal wall, burns faster than subcutaneous fat, which is the flabby stuff that makes love handles and muffin tops. This jiggly stuff is the last to go when slimming down.

I'm theorizing here, but I bet that when you see those fat-loss make-overs with seemingly too-good-to-be-true results, you're seeing those freaks who started with good muscle development and relatively little subcutaneous fat (ie, folks experienced with bulk-to-cut cycles).

But if you're like me and have in the past lost a ton of weight only to find a thinner flabby version of your old self (eg, my marathon era), you've got an extra dose of stubborn subcutaneous fat. Reducing this fat has its own training requirements as biochemically, your body doesn't want to give it up.


Combining keto at caloric deficit (ensuring stored fat is being readily used) is the main-thrust of my fat attack. My flanking attack is adding regular HIIT into my workouts. The pincher maneuver is regular strength training. Here are different studies showing HIIT and strength training may make the perfect storm.

HIIT has the added benefit of making me a more-efficient distance runner whenever I can eventually get back into it.

While I'm starting this cut cycle with more fat than in previous cycles, I'm fortunately not completely deconditioned and can fit in HIIT once or twice a week without being absolutely wrecked by it. I can also continue to lift heavy (well, "heavy" for an endurance junky). Hopefully, that'll mean quicker results.

I should note here that I tried a supplement, alpha-yohimbe, that theoretically enhances the body's use of stubborn fat (by addressing the biochemical stuff I linked above). I stopped taking it, however, as it made me feel light-headed, almost drunk-like. And if taken with caffeine, I felt like I needed to do windsprints to keep up with the stim effect. 

So far, I haven't found any human trials that've been done on it. ie, no proof that the strange side-effects are worth it. And so, it goes to the back of the cupboard.

Since Prince Was on Apollonia

While exercise is not necessary to lose weight with a calorie deficit, from my P90X days I know for certain that strength-training makes a worthwile visible difference.

That is, if I'm spending five hours a week in training and food-prep, I better have something to show for it. I'm also doing a workout routine because I want to maximize my fat loss ahead baby No. 2's birth.

A bit more about my training routine: I'm currently using the Advanced Body Weight training program found on Nerd Fitness (NF). I split the workout into lower- and upper-body days, combined with 20 minutes of LISS afterward. On non-strength days, I do 20 minutes of HIIT (near/at sprint effort).

I workout five to six days per week with the goals to get stronger and faster. No "toning" with 5lb weights. No book-reading while on the treadmill.

If my legs and feet are up for it, instead of LISS after strength training, I'll do less-intense HIIT (at lactate threshold). I'll call this medium-high intervals (M/HIIT). M/HITT is also done with longer rest periods to help prevent injury and overtraining.

All of this takes about an hour (including a stretch and shower). Fortunately, my gym is right across the street from my office. But if needed, I can do these workouts at home without any special gym equipment (save a pull-up bar).

A typical week looks like this:

Su:   rest, hike or family bike ride
M:   Lower-body & LISS or M/HIIT
Tu:  Upper-body & LISS or M/HIIT
W:   HIIT
Th:  Lower-body & LISS or M/HIIT
F:    Upper-body & LISS or M/HIIT
Sa:  rest, hike or family bike ride


What I'm not doing is a dedicated abdominal routine. This is mostly to save time, but also helps check that my weekly gut measurement isn't being too skewed by extraneous ab development. There is also the adage that a "six-pack is made in the kitchen" and not with crunches. I had a six-pack before with P90X. It'll be interesting if it reappears without the extra work.

I've read about 5x5 routines being more effective than the traditional 3x10 for strength gains. I might incorporate that if I start to plateau (or get bored) with the NF routine. Except for the bar dips and 1-legged squats, the NF routine is simpler than previous strength programs I've stuck with (P90X and hip/core rehab). It also fits in better with energy demands from work and family.

Progress

Loss from water-weight seems to have petered out this week. Now the real gains can be measured. So far, it's pretty solid progress (1/8", 1.5lbs down) on par with previous fat-loss cycles.

My keto-flu symptoms are diminishing, including the keto-euphoria. Alas, seeing the progress makes me happy.

Next Week: Real-Time Fat Loss Measurements

Being a nerd has its advantages. One of which is being neurotic (in a good way) about data, and visualizing data, and feedback loops that measure how well your ideas are working in the real world.

For fat-loss, the cheapest method for measuring progress is with a tape measure. Sometimes, however, it takes days or weeks to see measurable progress. For the anal-rentive like me, that's not enough!

Then there are times when you're in a situation (like at a party) where healthy food isn't an option and you have to partake in what's available. How do you ensure you haven't wrecked your nutrition and that you're fat-furnace is still on fiyah?

I think I found the answer. More about this next time.

Stay tuned!

Comments