Such a Lovely Day ...

... to have to always feel this way.

Weekend One with the LeMond Sarthe. I switched the Campy group over from the CAAD4. While I liked how the previous mix of Ultegra and 105 shifted, Shimano hoods simply kill my hands and wrists -- the reason I switched to Campy in the first place. In addition to the group, I also moved over my old saddle, seatpost and bars.

I've put in about 75 miles on the LeMond so far, and I feel as though I've never truly experienced road cycling until this week. Maybe it's like being a runner for years, and then one day experiencing "runner's high" for the first time. Or being an aggro skater, and then riding a pintail longboard one afternoon.

Before the LeMond, I would've never ever equated the word "soulful" with cycling. But, apparently, this is common among fans of ultra high-end zillion dollar bikes. Check out this blog post: Soul of the Machine.

Anyhow. Some pics from the build:

The old CAAD4 fitted with Campy Chorus and Campy Zonda wheels.

The stock LeMond Sarthe with a mix of Shimano Ultegra and 105. The Bontrager Race Lite wheels are, weight-wise, comparable to the Zondas, but looks-wise ... sorry, Charlie.

The CAAD4 frame and fork weighed 3.8 lbs on the bathroom scale. The Sarthe was an even 5 lbs.

I swear I started this build with all my tools laid out and stuff organized in bags. What happened?

Plastic bag full of Ultegra and 105 parts. All of this and the Bontrager wheels plus bar and stem must go!

Cable bling!

Comfy hoods!

Ka-blam! ... Still a work in progress, but I took this out as-is for a hilly 25 miles and it's even better than before! A little more crisp and more plush than the stock configuration. A lot more comfy with the Campy hoods.

Next weekend: cyclo-computer install, bar tape install, ride 30-35 miles.

Comments