If You Got a Problem, Yo, I'll Solve It

So I finished training to become an adult literacy tutor. And that calls for a little advocacy for the program, Project Second Chance hosted by the Contra Costa County Library. I have a fund-raising idea I'll go into later, but for now, it's super easy to contribute online, or in person by donating spare change and leftover BART tickets to a county library (east of the hills and northern East Bay). Who doesn't have spare change and/or leftover BART tickets? I will be hitting you up.

...

Speaking of reading, I think my young reader sci-fi/fantasy kick has waned. I just picked up People of the Book by Pulitzer winner Geraldine Brooks. How could I resist a title like that? I also love the cover design and image (by Jaya Miceli), but have no idea what it is:


I'm also waiting delivery of Making Beats: The Art of Sample-Based Hip-Hop by Joseph G. Schloss. Nostalgia will be in full effect. Cover: Record crate + MPC + headphones = The Boom Bap:

There is also this gorgeous coffee table photo book on home studios covering Shadow, Madlib, Premier, Design and more of our faves. (Lamenting that this stuff wasn't around 10-20 years ago.)
Speaking of pricey texts like this one, I highly, highly recommend half.com. I've saved a grip though this service. It's like being at college and saving tons on slightly used or overstock books.

...

And not that the likes of Chrome or Timbuk2 or R.E. Load or Freight or Bailey should worry, but Microsoft -- in pure Microsoft fashion -- has put their name on a line of pretty mean bags made by Samsil.

I found the Rainier at Frys. Since I'll be hitting the library a few times a week after work with more texts and gear, I needed a bit more space than the comfy-yet-small Copeland skate bag could offer.

This would fill my old backpack past functional capacity: Laptop, fun book, journal, calendar, studying text, tutor supplies and text, thermos (not pictured: 3-4, 2-cup-sized tupperware bowls.)

A cozy fit with room to spare. The laptop compartment can also give a safe ride for print mailers to the post office.

Still plenty of space in the main compartment. Food bowls will fit perfect.

What?!? A whole other compartment?!? I can fit my gym clothes in here. A stack of records, even! Oh, Stankonia!

Comments