Trial of Miles

Time is quick to carry on
certain as the morning tends to
hollow us and turn our words to smoke
In all that is escaped us
and all that we could hold in place
I saw you shining
saw you shining
brighter than before

--L. Gibson





Been running again lately. Above are from a recent trail run at Redwood Regional Park in the Oakland hills.

Speaking of which, and while the pics above sort-of show it, it occurred to me how wonderfully the Oakland/Berkeley hills showcase the climate- and bio-diversity of the Bay Area. In the same park, on the same trail, within a few hundred yards, you can go from evergreen coniferous forest (Bay-side ridges and valleys) to oak and chaparral woodland (eastern ridges and valleys).  


I also ran the Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey a couple weeks ago. I ran most of it with my brother and his wife, and that was a ton of fun. My attitude toward running has shifted in recent years: While it is still very much meditative solitary experience  (the Navajo call it "moving prayer"), I've come to enjoy the big social event side of it as well. Events, "races" -- whatever you want to call them --  they're all about celebration. Celebrating fitness, dedication, turning one's life around. Being part of the cosmic dance. And everyone -- fellow athlete, volunteer, organizer -- is there as witness. 

Comments