All Frings Considered

Catching up on some NPR podcasts...

...

"Okay, I will be into girls at some point, but now I'm into Public Enemy."

Geoff Barrow (Portishead) on hearing
Public Enemy's "Rebel Without a Pause"
as a teenager at an underage night club.


...

"She went to his side and bent down to lift him up. ... She held him next to her and he was and draped over her and against her like a child. And they sang, and it pierced me. I can't imagine anything other than music that could've brought about this alchemy. How is it that you have a chord here and then another chord there, and then your heart breaks open? I don't know the answer. Maybe it's that music is about as physical as it gets. Your essential rhythm is your heart beat. Your essential sound, the breath. We're walking temples of noise. And when you add the human heart to this mix, it somehow lets us meet on a bridge we couldn't get to any other way."

Ann Lemott describing individuals
from disparate backgrounds (a devout
Christian and a dying AIDS patient)
coming together during church choir.

...


"I have only what I remember."

W.S. Merwin from "A Likeness"

Comments