Piece Book Ch. 1: On Layaway

This is the first of a new series of posts called Piece Book. For the uninitiated, a piece book is simply a sketchbook; "piece" as in graffiti-art piece. (Suprised this isn't on Urban Dictionary.) As home-buying continues to inch closer to reality, I've found myself rummaging through old items deciding what goes and what stays. Finding little gems that never saw the light of day.

First entry is a simple beat I started three years ago during a long Christmas weekend. It's just some drum patterns, bassline, and a keyboard loop. I'd always meant to come back to this, but soon after discovered Propellerhead's Reason and pretty much gave up the old gear. The tracks are mixed (very roughly) in Acid, but sequenced with an MPC synced to a Proteus2000 and Planet Earth. I used an old janky MIDI controller to play the parts.

Since it's officially the holidays, I'll name it "On Layaway".



Oh! I was also very impressed that Acid was able to maintain all parts of the song file even though all the individual pieces where moved to a network filesystem. I tell you, the song file traveled three computers and two network hardrives from the last time I opened it. That was another reason I never went back to the track; always thought I'd have to re-construct the file structure.

Comments