Give Me Fever

It's on... . Back to putting more miles on the road. I'm also trying a pair of Speedplay Xs. They're supposed to be easier on the knees. But it occured to me while testing and practicing on the trainer: How much of the knee strain that's related to clipless pedals is actually due to twisting one's legs to disengage from the pedals? And not due to cleat position, float, etc.?

Some pics:

Oh, to give you an idea of how weird my right leg is, the cleat placement on my left shoe sets my left foot closest to the crank. That's ideal for power transfer and feels natural to me. But my right leg feels most natural with the cleat set furthest from the crank. I wish there was a diagonal cleat position to allow pointing a foot out further when needed.

Even with the Speedplay Xs, with the most float I'm aware of, my right leg still feels like it needs more wiggle room. As has always been the case, if keeping my right foot straight, my knee almost hits the top bar. (I can also see this in the mirror while running at the gym; My right leg has a slight twisty motion at impact and kick. Tread wear, however, is neutral.)

Anyhow. I've initiated the search to replace the old CAAD4 race frame. Stimulus! Tax Return! Stimulus! Tax Return! ... Debt Free!

...

(Not-so) recent events:

Nice mural at the San Diego airport... Ooohhh!! I almost forgot. Even better at the Oakland airport: Art by Hung Liu. Ugh, why didn't I take my own picture?!?

Me and my bro and the Abba-Zabba Twins. Activate! ... Form of ...

... a newly adopted pup, Hali (short for halitosis). She keeps Kaya company at my bro's house.


...

Lastly, if you get the chance, I would highly, highly recommend seeing Refugee Nation. Powerful. Insightful. Funny. Uplifting. The best thing I've seen in a long, long time. It played the other week in Berkeley to benefit Lao advocacy groups Legacies of War and the Center for Lao Studies.

Comments