Rolling Contradiction

I like tinkering with them almost as much as riding them. This is about as much as I want to do with this bike. Once I find an old road frame to convert to a true townie this will return back to its track bike sexy nakedness:

After all the hub-bub about new saddles, the most comfy setup is still the old BMX Berserker saddle with padded shorts. A couple new wrinkles: 1) Planet Bike Freddy Speedez fenders just for looks and a 2) Profile Design Aqua Rack. (Heh, he said "rack.")

The fenders aren't full cover, intended as easy clip-ons for race bikes. With the track bike, there isn't much clearance under the front and rear brakes. These can do double duty on the Cannondale once training starts up again.

The double barrels. This frame also doesn't have water bottle mounts and I'd rather not carry water on my back. For shorter rides, the other bottle can be used to store items that would otherwise go into a saddle bag or jersey pockets. These will probably stay on this bike when it goes back to being fixed.

Obligatory chainline pic. Eh, straight enough. New freewheel cog, btw.

Going freewheel required that I put on the rear brake. These are the levers I found with the handlebars at the Bent Spoke in Berkeley. The grips are from Oury and are cushy enough to ride gloveless.

So far: It's been years since I rode with clips-and-straps. I'm still getting used to it, the pedal inefficiency. There is also a bit of toe overlap w/ the new pedals, exacerbated by the front fender. Toe overlap does not happen with my clipless setup on this frame, and is maybe the most nerve-racking thing to experience while riding. Alas, my future conversion will be on a larger frame for a more relaxed French fit, so hopefully that'll eliminate the problem. ... More tinkering needed.

...

In other bike-related activity, we installed a rear rack and panniers on Lisa's Bianchi Milano.

We are so wanting to go grocery shopping right now.

Comments