Productive Sunday

Started cleaning -- laundry, straightening the bookshelf. Then figured, eh, I could do this while the paint dries. So....

Starting supplies. Old art board with a failed painting and some gift wrap. I've been using smaller art boards lately cuz they fit better on a scanner. While epic-proportion art is all good, it's tough to take quality pics and I wind up having to edit them some in Corel. I've also been using the same gift wrap for a stretch. I think this is the last batch of this stuff.

Gift wrap is applied with spray adhesive then evened out with a roller. I used sandpaper to strip the leftover wrap and get clean edges on the art board, a trick picked up from grip-taping skateboards.
First coat is reddish-orange-brown. You can see the pattern from the gift wrap come through. The paper also soaks up some of the paint and gives a bit more texture to the surface.

Added some characters via stencil. At this stage, I have no idea how the layers will wind up looking when done. The colors are a little... uhh... revolucionsita.
Two darker layers of paint later, the stenciled characters are barely visible.
The main image will be pretty dark, so I added some lighter stencil work to go under the image for contrast.
Drawing/transferring main image to the painting. I hope this works!
Ah. So far, so good. Needs some eraser work to clean up some of the transfer carbon.
Tah-dow! One of the few paintings I've done where I'm immediately content and happy.

Comments